Predictions for the new year (and believe me, I’ve got a bunch of them):
Music: I should start by saying, a few of these artists I’m just waiting to blow up here in America, honestly not sure when they will, but I promise they will. I’d normally have put Lana Del Rey on this list, but after her absolutely awful SNL performance this past Saturday night, there’s no way in hell I’d ever pay money to see her live. And I give mad props to whoever fixes her voice on her recordings. They’re getting paid their money’s worth.
1. Sky Ferreira – Love this girl. She was originally a model, and I believe she still is modeling, but she’s quite young (20, if that) and can belt it. I recommend 17, Obsession, One, and 108, and for your viewing pleasure, I give you Obsession.
2. SHINee -These next two are going to sound weird, and I still tend to agree except I’ve read on multiple music-related trend forcasting websites that Korean pop music is going to be huge in 2012. Even though I can’t understand a word of these guys except ‘lucifer, love-a-tronic, and love-a-holic,’ I find myself singing in Korean (really), loving their beat and their dancing skills are killer. So, give the boys of SHINee a shot, and watch Lucifer:
3. Girls’ Generation – This is the 2nd Korean pop band, and these girls are even cooler to me than SHINee. There are 9, yes, nine of them. They remind me of the Pussycat Dolls but with a real fashion sense, and much better singing, though their whole ‘thing’ is refined, classy sexiness. I’m a fan of Run Devil Run, and The Boys. Here is The Boys in English (they also have the video in Korean). Honestly, I could see these ladies blowing up and the fast tempo is something I could definitely see being played in clubs in the near future:
Color Trends/ Fashion Trends: Some of these I’m jumping out of my seat for, and others I think I’ll try to avoid completely. According to Pantone (the people who decide all the hot colors for everyone – interior designs and on the runway), “Tangerine Tango” is the color for 2012, though some other ‘in’ colors are black (naturally), teal, sulfur yellow, nudes, pale pinks, and pale blues and grays. Other trends that are going to be in for 2012 include pastels, neutrals in layers, leather (thank god) is still in, color blocking, as well as patterns and lace, plus menswear with a twist seems to be staying for a while too. I’ve also noticed quite a bit of Indian influence, in both patterns, style, and length of garments. Here’s a little taste of what was seen on the runway:
[SS2012 Eli Tahari; Style.com]
[SS2012 Proenza Schouler; Style.com]
[SS2012 Chanel; Style.com]
[SS2012 Valentino; Style.com]
[SS2012 Valentio; Style.com]
Nail Trends: I really hope that that sharp claw-like nail thing never translates over to the real-world, there’s no way I could do it, sorry. But, I do love the polish trends that are already sweeping in this year. As a nail polish fiend, I’ve found there to be a few that are outstanding: Ready? Good.
1. New Neons – Pretty much anything goes, as long as it’s bright and gives your hands a bit of pop! I’m a fan of a bright teal-y green, magenta, royal purple, and if you’re going really crazy I approve orange, or even green. If you want to try out this trend but don’t want to spend a ton of money initially, I recommend American Apparel‘s nail polish. At $6 a bottle, you know you’re getting something good but if you don’t like it you’re not going to feel guilty tossing it (which by the way is a terrible thing to do. Don’t do it. Forget I even said it.)
2. Pastels – Anything really – from gray to blue to pink to buff to honey, it’s all in, and they all look good with everyone’s skin tones. Zoya has this promo video for a new line they have (I’m not a huge fan of the video, but it gives a good idea of color range for pastels)
3. Blue/greens – So far, I’ve fallen in love with the clean colors Nails, Inc. has to offer in the blue-green department, but obviously, as with everything else, this is just a jumping off point. The one shown below is Haymarket by Nails, Inc.
4. Glitters Gone Wild – Nicki Minaj and The Muppet’s collections from OPI have seemed to start this craze. I did a Weekly Shade on the Muppets’ “Rainbow Connection” earlier in the month, and I stand firmly by this one. I do think there are the right and wrong times to be wearing a full on glitter manicure, but the other trends of the year can be subtle enough that this one works. Also, Bloomsbury Square (a Nails, Inc. polish) is AMAZING. We bought it for my roommate for her birthday.